« Alan Roberts launch report | Main | Rob Emanuele launch report »

David Powers launch report

June 9, 2015

I agree with Alan a great two days; prefect weather, fun watching the Midway students, and fun helping future launchers.
Midway Was a minimilist launch day for me, my Pike (I 357 T) sat on the launch rail all day waiting for the igniter to light which after 4 tried looked like it was not going to happen. But, Alan came to the rescuer and took the Mid-Power battery and wired it in series to the High-Power battery and away the Pike went. Thank you to Alan. It was a good flight except the 14 second delay lasted only 4.4 seconds (perhaps related to the motor baking in the sun all day - wondering if the EZ pre-installed delay is glued in with Epoxy that softens in heat) and only made 1500’. Fortunately the chute stayed on and did not zipper the tube. Though the Pike did manage to hang up in a tree to the West. Thanks to Joe for the help in getting the Pike out of the tree…and in one piece. SPARC Perfect weather and the drift was bringing everything (nearly) back to the launch area. I had just three launches, myself built John Long which launched on three E9-6s and one E12-6 (a mistake, intended it to be an E9-6), but the flight didn’t seem to be effected by the slight increase in thrust from the E12 (my guess is the long body helps, one of the prior launches only 3 motors lit but the flight was straight). Then my Pike was launched on the first try, again on a I357T, the 14 second delay was 9.9 seconds. The Pike made it to 1967’ The altimeter showed the discharge was .1 seconds early, but it looked to me like it was late. The only other launch I did was my SiFi One on an E9-6 (I actually set it up for one of the Lang brothers, but they were busy talking Joe out of rockets, so I launched it). A good flight and short recovery. The rest of the day was helping the Lang brothers select, prep and launch … they recovered all of them. The Lang launches were on D12s, E9s, A3s. One of them talked me into launching the CC Express with the booster … at the end of the day … despite Bob’s insinuation I did not launch it and it was not launched to get out of helping with the take down. Surprise of surprises I got both part back. The main stage landed in the middle of the trees to the West, thanks to Bob and Alan’s good line on it I found it right away. Despite my history of parking in trees, the CC Express threaded the neeedle between the trees and was on a small area of open ground. Now that is the way to end a great launch day.

Posted by bobble at June 9, 2015 3:27 PM


Post a comment

Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

Remember me?