« October Launch Report & Stats | Main | Mark Howe Launch Report »

Lou Bragg Launch report

October 8, 2007

Just a quick mid launch report. I arrived on site to a fully set up range about 9:50 AM.
We called the tower to activate the waiver. Guess what?! We get the freaking voicemail! Uhhhh.....okay? After an unsuccessful hour I called Seattle and they said we would be ok and they would get it called in. During this whole time models were flying at a very moderate pace. It was a model dominated day to say the least. Joe Cooney and Mark Howe were there and between them I think they had 60 flights with no single motor being larger than an E. Other attendees included Launch Director Terry Moore-Read, Bob Yanecek (for a short period of time) and his father Earl, Allan Roberts, The Cavanaugh family, myself and Katie and later in the day, Ray Stoner and his clan. The conditions were excellent for flying rockets with little to no wind and a partly cloudy sky. Allan joined in the model fun flying a Mean Machine with great success. The Cavanaugh's had a steady stream of A-D powered models heading to the pad for the better part of the day. Even though he was only there for a few minutes Bob got in a flight of Super Kluge on a G80-1. Deployment almost immediately after burnout causing a seperation. Both pieces were recovered with some moderate damage. Terry flew a few models including a crazy "flight" of his Screaming Mimi on an E28T. The red cap must have been pressed on too tightly and instead of blowing off stayed on and vectored the thrust for a crazy boost that ended in a crash. I flew a couple of models then prepped my new bird The Riddler for its maiden flight. Great ride on an H242 to a very close dual deploy recovery from 2656'. I also flew my Stealth late in the evening on a J540R for a very nice Redline flight to 5186' with dual deploy for a good recovery. Just before this flight Ray showed up and put up a couple of models. Apparently a Quest Totally Tubular is unstable on a C6. Needless to say an interesting flight. He redeemed himself with a subsequent flight on a B6 that was arrow straight. We left around 6:30 with only Terry and Ray staying the night braving the cold. Lou Bragg

Posted by bobble at October 8, 2007 7:31 AM


Post a comment

Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

Remember me?